Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 43
Total: 44

Serial Port Channel Numbers

Started by djmc2002, November 28, 2020, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djmc2002

Hey might be a dumb question but I'm new to using serial port on my F16.  How are they numbered? So for instance I have 10 3 channel floods lights and 2  6 channel fog machines defined in xLights starting at universe 26 channel 7. I then have a mega tree that is set to chain after the last fog machine.  My first flood is defined as 26:7 (13267) and my last fog machine is  26:48 (13308)- mega tree defined as 26:49 (13309)  

Is this the proper set up? I'm having strange problems that would seem to indicate I have a channel count off somewhere but I have check, rechecked, gone from full xLights control on the controller to me manually putting in every number and chaining models,  I'm stumped and wondering if the serial port thing is the issue since I have no past experience with them.

Thoughts and thanks!

pixelpuppy

On the F16 are you using Absolute Channel mode or Universe/Start Channel mode?

And what do you have the start channel set to on the serial output port on the F16?
-Mark

djmc2002

Quote from: pixelpuppy on November 28, 2020, 07:38:26 AMOn the F16 are you using Absolute Channel mode or Universe/Start Channel mode?

And what do you have the start channel set to on the serial output port on the F16?
I've tried it both ways -currently set to absolute- serial port is set to output 2 and channel 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pixelpuppy

Quote from: djmc2002 on November 28, 2020, 10:11:25 AM-currently set to absolute- serial port is set to output 2 and channel 7
Not sure what you mean by "output 2" unless you mean Serial port 2.

If you're set to absolute channel mode and you set the serial port start channel to 7 then that DMX cable is going to start at absolute channel 7 but in xLights its absolute channel 13267.

It will be easier for us to help if you can post screenshots of how you have it configured.  Otherwise we are just guessing back and forth
-Mark

djmc2002

Yes I should have done that in the beginning My bad.  Here is the set up pictures 

djmc2002

Actual I did notice a error on when I was looking at the pictures and changed the address of the "santa house floods" to match xLights on the F16. - Can someone give this the idiot check look over and see if I janked it up some where or if it appears basically correct

djmc2002

One other question about serial port set up, if I'm driving LOR controller with DMX is each LOR channel "1" channel or "3" as is normal with DMX?

pixelpuppy

do your DMX floods have a settable DMX address?  Most DMX devices have a set of DIP switches to set their starting address.  That will need to be set to 7 in order to match your configuration.

Some DMX devices don't have a settable start address.  In that case you need to set your serial output to start on channel 13267 (the start channel for the 1st flood) and not 13261(the first channel of the Universe)
-Mark

djmc2002

Quote from: pixelpuppy on November 28, 2020, 02:38:34 PMdo your DMX floods have a settable DMX address?  Most DMX devices have a set of DIP switches to set their starting address.  That will need to be set to 7 in order to match your configuration.

Some DMX devices don't have a settable start address.  In that case you need to set your serial output to start on channel 13267 (the start channel for the 1st flood) and not 13261(the first channel of the Universe)
They are not addressed, (dumb) driven off a 27 channel DMX node controller (this is set to dip switch "7")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djmc2002

Just as a update, I discovered after getting the advice above that I not only was I addressing the serial port incorrectly (I was using the start of universe instead of the dmx channel number) I found that when I used full control auto size that my first controller was set to a total of 20 universes but what was required was actual 21 when you just added channels end to end. I never checked that channel count universe count until I went back on the dmx channel question I addressed in the OP. IT was at that point I discovered that auto size had set all the controllers to a incorrect number of universes.  (don't know if it is a error in the program, prob a error on my set up), but all the same it was a total number of universe issue.  Thanks for guidance and perhaps my problems can help others. -- Dave

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

new piCaps in the works? by james-s
Today at 01:39:26 PM

Smartthings Integrations by james-s
Today at 01:26:22 PM

PiCap w/Controller? by james-s
Today at 01:13:37 PM

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by Martin Lamers
Today at 10:59:19 AM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
Today at 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM

Sequence issues from Rasberry pi by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 07:49:10 AM

New K4-PB wifi problems by fauxton
September 30, 2022, 07:19:15 PM