Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 50
Total: 52

Differential Receiver Board Issue

Started by jem5136, November 08, 2021, 05:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jem5136

I added an F48 last year and I've been using 4-string receiver boards. I'm having some issues with one of my receiver boards. When I was testing all of the props before set up, everything worked as expected. However, today while connecting everything together on site, one of the receiver boards was unresponsive. The board is only using 1 output with 480 pixels. Everything is set up correctly on the F48 and in xLights. 

The first thing I did was try to run test mode on the receiver (not the entire F48)nd I couldn't get anything to happen- the 4 LEDs on the board did not light like they usually do when running test mode. The board does have power- the fuse LEDs were lit. 

I connected one of my other receiver boards to the same port on the F48 and it worked just fine. So I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the receiver board and if so how can I fix it? This has happened twice on two different boards (purchased at different times), making this the 3rd board to have this issue. The other boards I just swopped out with spares I had. I'm not sure I have more spares to replace it with so I'm a bit worried I might have a "dead" prop. Any ideas?

Sidenote: they're all set up as "dumb", I do not daisy chain the receivers.

JonD

You could move all the dip switches to the alternate location and switch back, confirm they are correctly configured and nothing got bumped into a wrong setting.  Make sure there is not any metal objects behind the board shorting any pins out.  Try another power supply, or at least test that the voltage output is correct.  If you have confirmed the settings, and another SR works fine... it sounds like a bad SR board to me.

This is the first year I have used SR's and I have had a lot of issues myself.  The new 1.3 versions leave a red pixel at the end of very light string if you configure the controller for the exact amount of pixels it has.  I have to add one more pixel to the config to get rid of the red light.  I can't get the F16V4 2.0 SRs to work in native mode.  The 2.0 SRs will ghost ports 1-16 programming onto the SR ports.  If I change them to smart mode they appear to work fine.

You could try to use it in smart mode instead of native and see what happens.  I have had that resolve things.

Splork

We have two smart receivers acting exactly like this  and we just received them last week. Teat mode will not trigger or those 4 lights light up.

We have checked and double checked everything, place different SR there and it works. Very strange...

jem5136

I ended up replacing the entire receiver, I couldn't get anything to work. I also had a faulty Cat5 cable, but that doesn't explain why I couldn't get it to run test mode. I'll have to do some more troubleshooting in the off-season.

wclexa

I using an F48 with two receiver boards. They worked fine last year and worked initially this year.  Then suddenly, one of the ports on each board started sending bad data.  After a lot of testing and pulling on hair, I finally stumbled onto the problem.  The screws in the 4 string plug were loose.  Once I tightened them, everything worked fine.

k6ccc

Quote from: wclexa on November 18, 2021, 02:03:42 PMI using an F48 with two receiver boards. They worked fine last year and worked initially this year.  Then suddenly, one of the ports on each board started sending bad data.  After a lot of testing and pulling on hair, I finally stumbled onto the problem.  The screws in the 4 string plug were loose.  Once I tightened them, everything worked fine.
Must be the year for it.  When I first tested my 26 x 100 pixel tree, string one was just shimmering red.  Found that the ground wire on the green plug on the F16v3 had pulled out.  Tightened it up and the tree is working properly..
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

wclexa

When I set up the props this year, the port started acting up again.  So I switched to a differential receiver I knew worked and still had problems with the same port. After spending some time of trying different configurations, I discovered it was the network cable.  Once I re-crimped it, everything worked perfectly on both receivers.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by rudybuddy
Today at 04:18:23 PM

PiCap w/Controller? by jnealand
Today at 02:37:57 PM

new piCaps in the works? by james-s
Today at 01:39:26 PM

Smartthings Integrations by james-s
Today at 01:26:22 PM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
Today at 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM

Sequence issues from Rasberry pi by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 07:49:10 AM

New K4-PB wifi problems by fauxton
September 30, 2022, 07:19:15 PM