News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15299
Latest: Psonic
New This Month: 2
New This Week: 1
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 125123
Total Topics: 15247
Most Online Today: 78
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 39
Total: 40

Can F16v3 controllers share same IP address?

Started by csmith, May 04, 2022, 06:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmith

This year I've added a second pixel tree so now I've got two identical ones and each uses an F16v3 controller.  The goal is to have both trees doing the exact same thing all the time.  

Rather than modify the sequences to add this second tree can I set both F16v3 controllers to the same IP address?  I know this won't work when configuring the controllers but would it work during sequence playback?
Chuck Smith

darylc

k6ccc

As stated, you can't set them to the same IP.  However if the signal source is sending multicast (rather than unicast), you can set the same universes on both F16v3 controllers and they will display the same.

Caveat#1.  The F16v3 needs to be able to respond to Multicast (as I recall, it will), and whatever you are running the show from has to be able to send multicast.  I run my show from the Light O Rama show player on a computer and it will send unicast or multicast.  No information on anything else.

Caveat #2.  As a networking guy, I HATE MULTICAST!
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

CaptainMurdoch

Depending on the player (ie, FPP can do this and possibly xLights with some hand-configuration), you can also send the same universes unicast to two different IP addresses.  That doubles your network traffic, but it is the same amount of traffic as if you were running different effects on each tree independently.
-
Chris

jnealand

It is easy (at least in xlights) to copy everything from one model to another.  Best to do that and avoid any potential issues down the road.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

rayster

You do not want 2 devices with the same IP on the same network. When xlights looks for the devices it will get confused and most likely not show either one.
Ray
Using K8-B, Rpi 3b w/PiHat, Rpi 3b+ w/ PiHat, K4-PB

csmith

Thanks!  I now know what direction to go.
Chuck Smith

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

new piCaps in the works? by james-s
Today at 01:39:26 PM

Smartthings Integrations by james-s
Today at 01:26:22 PM

PiCap w/Controller? by james-s
Today at 01:13:37 PM

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by Martin Lamers
Today at 10:59:19 AM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
Today at 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM

Sequence issues from Rasberry pi by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 07:49:10 AM

New K4-PB wifi problems by fauxton
September 30, 2022, 07:19:15 PM