News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15459
Latest: MisterTFM
New This Month: 82
New This Week: 36
New Today: 5
Stats
Total Posts: 126734
Total Topics: 15528
Most Online Today: 108
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 86
Total: 92

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option

Started by Solson15, September 30, 2022, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solson15

I just completed a Fresh install of FPP V 6.1.1 on a Pi 3B+. I have the Wlan0 talking to my Home network, and the Eth0 to my Alphapix controller. There is no option for "Interface Routing" on my FPP Network settings page. It just isnt there. Where do I enable routing between networks?

JonD

Under FPP settings, UI tab, change user interface level to "Advanced"

Under network settings, under the advanced tab, look for the "IP Forwarding" setting.  The term "Interface Routing" is no longer used and it is now called "IP Forwarding" in 6.x.

Solson15

Thank You!! Works perfectly now!
They should update the Manual for that, because most people need that enabled. - But I appreciate the very quick response!! You Rock!

bloojoop

the manual is updated.. make sure you are using the correct version of the manual.. Should be available via help - fpp manual, that should take you to the matching version of manual.. look starting on page 45. 
--Ron A.

JonD

Quote from: Solson15 on September 30, 2022, 09:38:59 AMThank You!! Works perfectly now!
They should update the Manual for that, because most people need that enabled. - But I appreciate the very quick response!! You Rock!
No worries.  It gets asked a lot.  IP forwarding and routing are pretty much the same thing.  Even advanced network engineers don't know the difference.  Technically routing will learn routes such as listen for RIP broadcasting, and IP forwarding only forwards to known locations.  (local interfaces or manual route tables)  It is most likely the same exact feature it always has been, but they changed the name to be more technically correct.

Poporacer

Quote from: Solson15 on September 30, 2022, 09:38:59 AMThey should update the Manual for that, because most people need that enabled.
You mean like this? LOL
You cannot view this attachment.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

JonD

It does seem like a setting that should be on the standard UI setting.

bloojoop

Quote from: JonD on September 30, 2022, 01:44:24 PMIt does seem like a setting that should be on the standard UI setting.
why?  it is rarely needed... in fact, a separate show network is rarely needed.  WAY too many people are following complex instructions for specific use cases that may not really be needed... Regardless, using the Proxy mode for a separate show network is much simpler and less complex.  In this mode routing is NOT needed.  
--Ron A.

JonD

Quote from: bloojoop on September 30, 2022, 02:30:37 PMwhy?  it is rarely needed... in fact, a separate show network is rarely needed.  WAY too many people are following complex instructions for specific use cases that may not really be needed... Regardless, using the Proxy mode for a separate show network is much simpler and less complex.  In this mode routing is NOT needed. 
It can't be that rare.  I have the directions memorized, and have never used the feature.  Mainly because it is a common question, and it might reduce user frustration if it was out in the open.

Almost every system I use, there is a better way of doing things.  Sometimes... if your way of skinning the cat works just fine, you don't need to learn the perfect way.  A dead cat, is a dead cat!  ;)   

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on September 30, 2022, 03:05:04 PMIt can't be that rare.
Correct, it isn't that rare, but that is mostly due to the misinformation out there that you are supposed to have a "Show Network"

Quote from: JonD on September 30, 2022, 03:05:04 PMit might reduce user frustration if it was out in the open
Through experience and troubleshooting thousands of problems, I have found that if it is in the open, people will change anything and everything that they can without understanding what it is actually doing that just further complicates the problem that they were originally having. I think it is wise for the developers to put layers on the settings to help keep people from messing things up.

Quote from: JonD on September 30, 2022, 03:05:04 PMAlmost every system I use, there is a better way of doing things
That is especially true in the lighting hobby, to an extent. More like there are dozens of ways to make it work, what is best depends on the person using it.

Quote from: JonD on September 30, 2022, 03:05:04 PMif your way of skinning the cat works just fine, you don't need to learn the perfect way.  A dead cat, is a dead cat! 
And if you want to kill the cat in a more difficult way than the suggested methods, you can and the FPP Manual will tell you how to do that! LOL
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on September 30, 2022, 03:35:44 PMmostly due to the misinformation out there that you are supposed to have a "Show Network"
From a performance stand point, I would agree that most light shows could be run on their home network.  From a security stand point, I could never recommend that someone run unprotected network drops out to their front yard.  There are users that only have a couple of firewalled devices at home, that it would be perfectly fine.  There are others that run small businesses, or work remotely for jobs that it would be a very bad idea.  How do you know which situation the person asking is in?  I sleep better recommending the safest option, but respect not everyone is going to think that way.  Not sure I would consider it misinformation though.  I never tell anyone it can't be done.
Quote from: Poporacer on September 30, 2022, 03:35:44 PMI have found that if it is in the open, people will change anything and everything
Good point...agreed.  Maybe instead of having to go to the UI page and selecting advanced, have an advanced options right on the network page that would display additional options.  Not sure the current process is the easiest I have ever seen. 

k6ccc

Quote from: JonD on September 30, 2022, 05:16:25 PMFrom a security stand point, I could never recommend that someone run unprotected network drops out to their front yard.
And the other direction too.  Since the vast majority of E1.31 devices offer absolutely zero security, do you want your kid to hack your FPP or controller?  You put your show on your home network, and your teenage brat (and his or her friends) have total access to your show network.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

JonD

I just want to add that the people asking this question are not new to FPP.  The "Show Network" already exists.  All their controllers already have "Show" addresses, all their xlights settings are pointing to the same.  They just hit the upgrade button, because that is what they were told to do, and now everything is broken. 

It seems very reasonable for them to want their stuff to continue to work after an upgrade.

bloojoop

Quote from: k6ccc on September 30, 2022, 05:33:04 PM
Quote from: JonD on September 30, 2022, 05:16:25 PMFrom a security stand point, I could never recommend that someone run unprotected network drops out to their front yard.

If you  really believe that having a separate show network with network drops out in their front yard and routing enabled is any kind of protected, then you are mistaken.  A separate show network is only more secure if it is completely standalone and NOT connected to ANYTHING else or there is a properly managed firewall between the networks.  Our standard configs do NOT provide ANY additional security at all! 
--Ron A.

bloojoop

I have done quite a few upgrades and anywhere that interface routing was enabled before the upgrade, it was still enabled after the upgrade <shrug> ... upgrading has NOT turned this off for me where I have had it enabled.  
--Ron A.