Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 24
Total: 26

how to test pixels on the expansion card

Started by marci, January 12, 2022, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marci

Hi. I'm a newbie and just got an F16v3 configured and I attached 2 expansion board for a total of 48 ports. I'm assuming the configuration is correct since when I go to the output strings page the dropdown lets me see ports on both cards so the F16v3 seems to recognize the cards.

The test page, though, only shows me ports 1-16 to test. How do I test ports 17-48?

I assume I configured everything correctly. All I did, though, was to plug in the 2 expansion boards with the ribbon cables and set the jumpers to 17-48 on both expansion boards. Is that all there is to it?

TIA

k6ccc

On the Output port page, I assume you set the port mode to "Main Board w/ two expansions", and then SAVED.  You will see the 48 ports before you save, but if you did not save, as soon as you leave the page, you will be back to where you were.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

marci

Silly me. I didn't save it! Sometimes it's the dumb little things that get you.

I am getting weird behavior though when using the test page. I now do see 48 ports to test but both expansion cards respond to ports 33-48. Ports 17-32 are ignored no matter which expansion card I plug into. So I have 2 port 48s, 2 port 47s, etc.

Did I misconfigure the expansion boards or the F16v3?

k6ccc

Quote from: marci on January 13, 2022, 07:49:21 AMSilly me. I didn't save it! Sometimes it's the dumb little things that get you.

You would be amazed how often that gets forgotten.  There is a reason that there is a reminder to SAVE on almost every config page of the F16 manual...

Quote from: marci on January 13, 2022, 07:49:21 AMI am getting weird behavior though when using the test page. I now do see 48 ports to test but both expansion cards respond to ports 33-48. Ports 17-32 are ignored no matter which expansion card I plug into. So I have 2 port 48s, 2 port 47s, etc.

Make sure you have the jumpers right for the port range selection on the expansion boards.  My only thought...
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.

Jim

marci

As soon as I hit post I realized it was another dumb newbie mistake. Yes, I set both expansion card jumpers to 33-48 thinking both jumpers needed to be set to the overall "system" configuration rather than the jumper telling each card which ports to use. Dah.

I am having a weird issue, though, where my controller doesn't alway want to get recognized. Sometimes I have to power down/up multiple times before the card gets recognized. It always does eventually but it may take 3-6 power cycles to get it to work. Any clues? I'm using a separate show network from my household network and the Raspberry Pi is wireless, not hard wired to the router.

k6ccc

Do you have the networking set for DHCP or do you have a static IP set?  If it's DHCP, are you verifying the IP on the F16 display?

Jim

marci

It's static. The Raspberry Pi/FPP never has any problems connecting via wifi but the controller card is very hit or miss.

k6ccc

What exactly do you mean by "not recognized"?  Does it not respond to pings, the web GUI not respond, something else?
What is your network arrangement?

Jim

marci

Does not respond to a ping. GUI does not load. The weird thing is there isn't a fatal flaw since after power cycling it several times it'll connect eventually.

k6ccc

Presumably the F16 and the wired port on the FPP instance are connected (either directly or via a switch).  I assume you are trying to ping from a PC somewhere.  Where does that fit into the picture?  Your statement that you have a router, switch, and APs does not tell how things are connected.

Jim

marci

Yes, Pi/FPP and the F16 are connected directly. And, yes, I pinged from a computer on the network hard wired to the network switch.

In terms of my network connections, my switch is hardwired to my router. My APs are hardwired to my switch. Is that the connection info you're looking for?

k6ccc

Quote from: marci on January 13, 2022, 01:15:42 PMIn terms of my network connections, my switch is hardwired to my router. My APs are hardwired to my switch. Is that the connection info you're looking for?
Where does the FPP instance come into play?  Do I gather that the FPP is WiFi connected to the rest of the network?  So the computer is on the 192.168.1.x network and you are using the network proxy in the FPP to reach the F16 which is connected to the wired port of the FPP instance - correct?  Do you have the setting on the network page in FPP set to route between networks, and do you have a route statement in the PC so it knows to route traffic to the 192.168.2.x network by way of the FPP proxy?

Jim

marci

Yes to all of your assumptions. FPP/Pi is connected wirelessly to the network on the primary network. FPP is the network proxy routing the primary network to the controller on the show network. FPP is hardwired to the F16.

The only FPP setting I'm using to route between networks is the configuration I show above. That seems to work fine (when the F16 connects, that is).

But I don't have any route statements in any PC on the network, or in the router, but I'm still able to ping the F16 on any PC on the LAN when the F16 does successfully connect.

marci

Actually, I wonder if my problem is NOT having a route statement on my router, or at least the one computer I usually use to configure the controller, that routes any traffic on the LAN to the show network. But if that were the case wouldn't a computer on the LAN never be able to see a device on the show network? Why would it sometimes work? Is there an easy way to test this?

marci

Oh my goodness, I was poking around my router to try to add a static route and I saw that a few years ago when I first set up my show info I DID set up a static route to the show network pointing to the wan0 IP on the Pi/FPP.

I guess this is why it works (when it does work) since the router is routing any request for an IP on the show network to the Pi/FPP.

Then my sense (as you can tell I'm not versed in networking) is that FPP is then routing the requester any requests for the F16 IP.

This is perhaps where I'm missing some routing (more direct routing to the F16 rather than only relying upon FPP as a proxy to route to the F16) to make this request to the F16 work w/o fail. Still not sure why it would work sometimes and not others.

Any ideas?

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Unable to donate on PayPal by Mat-Moo
Today at 01:10:10 AM

Fpp 6.2 ui password by Mat-Moo
Today at 12:42:53 AM

Pi zero 2w by Sawdust
Today at 12:25:33 AM

I'm Stumped by saleencb
November 30, 2022, 11:49:40 PM

FPP not releasing control to WLED when idle by cwr89