Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 54
Total: 61

FPP 6 upgrade process feedback.

Started by jnealand, July 13, 2022, 11:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnealand

I shut down my small 4th of July show Sunday night and am now in the process of updating all the controllers while the lights are still up.  I'm having mixed results and am just posting my own experience to date.  This show has 7 FPP remotes and a master with no pixels attached.  3 Pis with Falcon PiCaps, an BBG with an Octoscroller, a Kulp K8, a Falcon F16v3 with Pi, and a Falcon 16v4 with Pi.  There is also another Pi with P5 panels attached that is a shadow model to the BBG P10 setup but it is in my office and was not activated for the show.  And another Picap that currently is only used to trigger a static AC tuneto sign using DMX.

All upgrades are being done using the FPPOS upgrade option followed by an FPP upgrade.  The FPPOS file was downloaded by each FPP individually.  No files were uploaded.  All units were at the latest FPP 5.5-24?? before I started the upgrade process.

Pis with Falcon Picaps and pixels all upgraded fine and are accessible and seem to be fine but I have not tried to run a show yet.

The Pi attached to the F16v3 upgraded but is stuck in the initial setup screen and I cannot get past that even by physically powering off and on.  I have now put a new card in that was burned using the FPP-v6.0-beta1-Pi.img.zip.  I was expecting to access the unit via the tether option and do the configuring, but the FPP wifi tether is not showing up.

The Pi with the f16v4 is no longer responding since I started the upgrade process although I have physically powered it off and on.  I plan to leave it be until I get the F16v3 setup working.

At this point I have not touched the BBG with 16 P10s.  It has been touchy doing upgrades in the past but it worked great during the last 10 days and is still hanging on my front porch.

The K8 appears to have upgraded the OS and FPP just fine with easy access and the configs are all there.

The Pi with the P5 panels is no longer responding since the upgrade was first started.  That one will require the case to be taken apart before I can access the Pi and uSD.

The master Pi (no lights attached) has been successfully updated and I am using the multisync screen to access the remaining remotes.

I have also left the Pi with the DMX option alone as there were no lights attached for the patriotic display although there are for the Christmas season.

Now for some lunch and then back to work on upgrades.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

CaptainMurdoch

@jnealand just to let you know we aren't ignoring this.  Thanks for your input.  I still have the post open on my screen am thinking through scenarios.  We have also been testing quite a bit, sometimes installing or reinstalling multiple times to try to reproduce an issue.
-
Chris

jnealand

I am spending the day working on updates.  Some have gone just fine some are the pits.  But a quick note.  I noticed that the -486 completes had a new update to 488.  The first one I tried has failed.  After the upgrade I get a message the FPPD is not running and I must "REBUILD"  The rebuild also failed.  I tried a reboot it also failed.  Not going to try any more going to 488 from 486. 

My Pi with P5 unit was running at 5.5.  I ran FPP update and it appears to finish at 5.5-24 but has the message as above that states FPPD not found and to rebuild.  After I click rebuild, it fails - screenshot attached and goes back to the FPPD not found.  I reboot and it goes back to v5.5 as it was before I started.  I will leave this one sit as it is in a sealed case that has to be taken apart to put a different uSD card in.  I have uploaded the v6 FPPOS so I could try that, but was trying to get it to the latest 5.5 update first.  These would be available via teamviewer or Zoom if anyone wanted to access /see the process on the Pi.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

jnealand

Here is the screenshot I forgot to attach to the prior post.
Jim Nealand

jnealand

This is from a Spare Pi on a PiHat.  There is nothing configured on this Pi hat.  I have gone thru every option in the channel outputs section.  Everything seems fine with the Pi and no troubles accessing anything.  System Health check is all green checkmarks.  Just reporting this.  I notice also that this last upgrade went to -489.
Jim Nealand

jnealand

Finally, just my two panel (P5 and P10) controllers remain to be updated.  I think, LOL  I have some spare Pis and two Pi TopHat ZeroW to dig out, but what an ordeal.  Hopefully I do not have to do major work when the official release comes out in a few weeks.
Jim Nealand

algerdes

Jim,
I ran into the same with being told to "rebuild" but it didn't work.  Ended up doing an image upgrade instead. In my case, this particular unit didn't have anything on it, so no problems there.

Since then, I have done 6 updates to RPI based FPP, and am working my way through 5 Kulp units.  Other than being slower than a turtle on a block of ice, they are all going without a hitch.

Some have been done using the .fppos method, some have been done using the image method.  Don't have any rhyme or reason as to which got which treatment.

One thing that is eating at me, and perhaps I should start a new thread, is I've been told that one of the methods (probably the .fppos) does not bring it all up to date.  Still looking for why, and what this mention is based on. If this is true, what will be missing?
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

jnealand

"One thing that is eating at me, and perhaps I should start a new thread, is I've been told that one of the methods (probably the .fppos) does not bring it all up to date.  Still looking for why, and what this mention is based on. If this is true, what will be missing?"

I believe that was an issue with the first fppos which has since been corrected.  I let almost all my units do there own download from github rather than trying to upload it to each unit from my computer.  In either case moving that file over wireless, which is how all my units operate, is slowwwwwww.  And for those early units you just run the fppos again and as I recall you did not have to redownload.  Some module was not being pulled in, the the rerun after the first update did bring in the missing code.
Jim Nealand

algerdes

I'm bringing everything onto 6.0.2 knowing full well there will be more changes.  Out where the display is, the only method I have available to me is to copy the files to my computer, then take it to the site.  Update then proceeds copying the files to each controller and running them.  That is why .fppos is a good thing for me.

I can't even imagine sending these files (from computer, or internet - if available) across wifi.  Heck, even my Ubiquiti bridges might slow it down a bit.   :-\

BTW - our old rule of "nothing changes after Aug 30" went out the window last year.  It was a good rule. It was a nice rule.  It did what it was supposed to do (prevent any "surprises" as we ran the display.)  Unfortunately there always seems to be something "urgent" that needs to be updated just before we open (or after we open).  Oh well.
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

CaptainMurdoch

Jim, were any of these systems that had issues running 8GB SD cards and do you know what OS version were you upgrading from? (5.1, 5.3, 5.5??)  I ran into an issue during a fppos upgrade from v5.3?? where the system ran out of space due to having a lot of media files and a couple fppos images.  In order to safely run the fppos in-place upgrade, we are jumping through a few hoops during the file copy process and this can consume a lot of extra disk space if upgrading from a really old version.  We are going to take a look sometime to see if we can make this a little more efficient, but I'm curious if you might have run into the same issue.  I have upgraded probably 10 systems here from v5.x to v6.x via fppos upgrade and I only ran into that one system that had issues.

Quote from: algerdes on August 05, 2022, 11:59:25 AMOne thing that is eating at me, and perhaps I should start a new thread, is I've been told that one of the methods (probably the .fppos) does not bring it all up to date.  Still looking for why, and what this mention is based on. If this is true, what will be missing?

It is always best to manually pull in updates after applying a fppos upgrade or imaging with a new SD image.  There may have been minor fixes since the image was generated and you want to pull in those updates.  This also helps eliminate the edge case in the TL;DR section below:

Applying a fppos update should bring you to the current patch level at the time the fppos image was generated.  All 6.0.x images and updates are in the same 6.0 code "branch".  When the images are generated, they pull the latest copy of code that was in that release branch at the time.  A lot of times Dan generates new images after pulling in updates from the development branch, but sometimes we pull in updates to a release branch without generating new image files.

Think of the following lines as a timeline of each release version and the patches applied to the release

6.0-p1
6.0-p2
6.0-p3
6.0.1-p1
6.0.1-p2
6.0.2-p1
6.0.2-p2
6.0.2-p3
6.0.2-p4

If you originally installed the 6.0 release image, then pulled in updates over time and are up to the 6.0.2-p4 level, then you apply the 6.0.2 fppos update, you could revert back to the 6.0.2 level unless you also pull in FPP updates after applying the fppos upgrade.  I have a note open to look into this to see if we can try to auto-detect and not overwrite the newer version with the older version.
-
Chris

algerdes

They are all up to date with 6.0.2, but the "p1", "p2", "p3", "p4" isn't something I'm familiar with.  How does one check for, and apply them?

jnealand

@CaptainMurdoch
Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on August 05, 2022, 04:42:52 PMJim, were any of these systems that had issues running 8GB SD cards and do you know what OS version were you upgrading from? (5.1, 5.3, 5.5??)  I ran into an issue during a fppos upgrade from v5.3?? where the system ran out of space due to having a lot of media files and a couple fppos images.  In order to safely run the fppos in-place upgrade, we are jumping through a few hoops during the file copy process and this can consume a lot of extra disk space if upgrading from a really old version.  We are going to take a look sometime to see if we can make this a little more efficient, but I'm curious if you might have run into the same issue.  I have upgraded probably 10 systems here from v5.x to v6.x via fppos upgrade and I only ran into that one system that had issues.

All my upgrades started with 5.5.-24  I do not think I even own an 8gb card anymore.  I moved to 16gb long time ago and now only buy 32gb.  But once I get to my workshop I will check as I still have the cards laying down there someplace stuck to a note telling me where it came from.
Jim Nealand

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: algerdes on August 05, 2022, 06:14:27 PMThey are all up to date with 6.0.2, but the "p1", "p2", "p3", "p4" isn't something I'm familiar with.  How does one check for, and apply them?

Those are just examples of us applying patches to the 6.0 release branch after a version was cut.  We normally apply patches to the master code branch and then pull in a set of changes to v6.0 and immediately tag a new release.  In some cases though, we pull over a fix to the 6.0 branch but don't create a new tagged version.  The point I was trying to get across is that if you use a fppos upgrade image to upgrade to tagged version 6.0.2, there is a chance that we have applied a few fixes (the p's) after the 6.0.2 version tag so you need to pull in updates after applying the fppos upgrade if you want to get those patches.  I don't think most people are applying multiple fppos updates in the same version line, so it's not normally an issue.
-
Chris

algerdes

Thanks CaptainMurdoch,

This I understand.  It was the fact that these incremental updates are in the "Master" branch that caught me off guard.  I don't go into the "Master Branch".  That is the domain of you folks with more knowledge of the workings than I.  Besides, the updates that are announced, (e.g. 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2) come often enough to keep one busy without doing any of the others.

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: algerdes on August 06, 2022, 08:34:34 PMThis I understand.  It was the fact that these incremental updates are in the "Master" branch that caught me off guard.  I don't go into the "Master Branch".  That is the domain of you folks with more knowledge of the workings than I.  Besides, the updates that are announced, (e.g. 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2) come often enough to keep one busy without doing any of the others.

There are several ways to merge in changes from the master branch to a release branch.  Early after the release, we may just pull in all updates from master to the release because we are doing more fixing in master than adding new features.  As we get further past the release date, we start adding in more things to master and sometimes we then do what is called "cherry-picking" to pick only certain  stable patches from master to the release branch while letting other things bake in master longer.
-
Chris

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

FPP Advanced Features Key has been used. by jnealand
Today at 08:40:40 AM

Written documentation for Differential Receivers v2.01 by jnealand
Today at 08:16:12 AM

Docker Container - No Multisync Discovery by EricD
October 04, 2022, 10:51:15 PM

Unable to reconnect to BBB after network config by Stoshx
October 04, 2022, 06:33:05 PM