News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15301
Latest: magicx
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 2
New Today: 2
Stats
Total Posts: 125131
Total Topics: 15248
Most Online Today: 53
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Programmatic interface to make interactive messages/signs on LED Panel with FPP?

Started by sbn, August 12, 2022, 05:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbn

Hello. I'm all new to this LED light thing.

I understand that I can buy a bunch of LED panels and connect these with HUB75 to a LED display Receiver, like Colorlight or LINSN. And that the FPP can then feed data to these LED panels through the Reciver, over ethernet, right?

What if I want to program my own content on the LED panels. Let's say I have a machine that should show instructions to the user, a progress bar, warning icons etc, depending on what is happening.

Is there any kind of API/SDK where I can programmatically generate new images with text, icons and primitive icons based on the events of the machine, and push these through FPP, to the receiver board, to get it shown on the display?

And if this is not an option with FPP, can you recommend another programmable solution?

Either one that can run on a PC connected to a receiver board. Or a controller board with built in programmable computer.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Kind regards, Esben

Poporacer

Quote from: sbn on August 12, 2022, 05:47:43 AMI understand that I can buy a bunch of LED panels and connect these with HUB75 to a LED display Receiver, like Colorlight or LINSN. And that the FPP can then feed data to these LED panels through the Reciver, over ethernet, right?
Typically, yes.

Quote from: sbn on August 12, 2022, 05:47:43 AMWhat if I want to program my own content on the LED panels. Let's say I have a machine that should show instructions to the user, a progress bar, warning icons etc, depending on what is happening.
To display anything on the panels you have to create what is called a sequence and that is most commonly done with xLights, but if you are just displaying text, there might be other easier options out there.

Quote from: sbn on August 12, 2022, 05:47:43 AMIs there any kind of API/SDK where I can programmatically generate new images with text, icons and primitive icons based on the events of the machine, and push these through FPP, to the receiver board, to get it shown on the display?
You can create any kind of image/icon in any image processing program such as Paint or GIMP and then use xLights to create the sequence with the pictures you created. If you want to use events of the machine, you will need to create some sort of trigger. A trigger would typically just be an on or off state typically through a switch. These triggers can be used to display dynamic images.

If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

CaptainMurdoch

There is no set of primitive drawing commands in FPP although that is something to be considered.  You can create a model (canvas) for the matrix and then create sub-models for portions of that model and then use FPP Commands to fill in colors or text in those sub-models, but I don't believe we have a way to put an image in a model/sub-model without using a playlist.  I'd like to be able to do that via a FPP command as well.  I think it would be a good idea to have a small set of other drawing commands, I know it would be useful in some cases.  Another item on a long ToDo list.
-
Chris

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Is it possible to restore via /boot partition? by EricD
October 02, 2022, 11:17:17 PM

new piCaps in the works? by Bwinter
October 02, 2022, 11:07:24 PM

Projector video for just one video source by Poporacer
October 02, 2022, 09:21:09 PM

PiCap w/Controller? by james-s
October 02, 2022, 05:06:52 PM

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by rudybuddy
October 02, 2022, 04:18:23 PM

Smartthings Integrations by james-s
October 02, 2022, 01:26:22 PM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
October 02, 2022, 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM