Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 52
Total: 57

snowfall tubes

Started by arw01, January 07, 2014, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arw01

So was reading over on DIYC about FAST (finally affordable snowfall tubes)

I was wondering if one of you hardware types wouldn't mind exponding on taking that concept and updating it to use a pcb that would take the new WS2812B chips instead and then we could put the new SSR at the top in the tube head and have something sweet and totally color controllable for not a whole lot of money..

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=75

They've got some icicles in the pre-sale over there two that I may jump on, but thinking still at this moment of rolling my own yet.

Spikemic

Thought about many routes with this and easiest would be by some 2812b or the even newer apa104 chip strips, mount on something stiff, slide in tubes and control them with board. They come in 30,60,72 and 144 per meter. There is one place somewhere in china I saw that does make 1m stiff boards of 2812's somewhere.  Forgot where.

arw01

There was a fellow on diyc specing a new stiff board with a data return line on it already back to the top, don't know what happened to it.  Be a pretty simple PCB and get some 5050's mounted on there like the ink1003 strips..  I think you could just T off with drops of 1/2m ink1003 strips  A nice clip on top that was larger than the silicon tube would make it easy and water proof in one swoop.

dduck

I made a bunch of these tubes by glueing ink1003 strips to coroplast.   I have a return wire running inside the coroplast
material.   Only problem is they are one-sided but I just need to make sure they are pointed in the right direction.
I used the caps that are used by the FAST tubes.  Each of my tubes are 1m long.

arw01

MyKroFt

Quote from: dduck on September 03, 2014, 11:56:53 AM
I made a bunch of these tubes by glueing ink1003 strips to coroplast.   I have a return wire running inside the coroplast
material.   Only problem is they are one-sided but I just need to make sure they are pointed in the right direction.
I used the caps that are used by the FAST tubes.  Each of my tubes are 1m long.

why not put on both sides coming from same source input, but only data return from one of them.  Both sides will respond so the same commands together

Tony

Trickyd

Hello light-creators

I made my own concept of snowfalltubes, using atmeg328 chips ( arduino )
The goal was for me to have total control over the snowfalltube from dmx. Control of the moment to start as also for the color as a mix of R G B.
Using two strips of WS2801 back to back in an acryllic transparent tube of 1 meter with 30 pixels.
Designed a pcb with eagle and used 3 arduino chips ( cheap )  to do the job I wanted. I used two arduino libraries to make programming easy, I am no great programmer so I have to use the intelligence of others.
The firmware is simple, and ready for expansion of the options it could get in the near future, like water droplets, filling the tube for instance.

Feel free to look at the webpage, ( in dutch for the moment ) but the pictures tell more than words.

http://www.fotodick.nl/paginas/dansendelichtjes/Dansendelichtjes10.html

Dick de Wit
The Netherlands

Trickyd

added page in english

dick

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: Trickyd on March 23, 2015, 03:00:32 PM
added page in english

Thanks for the writeup and english version, it is always interesting to look at implementations and solutions.

Have you used these in a daisy-chained config yet?  From the eagle file and the picture of your built board, it looks like the second XLR connector does not have the second data line attached. I see it on the schematic but not the PCB or eagle file pictures.
-
Chris

Trickyd

Hello,

yes there is a wire on the backside, as the schematics are there is also a connection, and the pcb has an option to mount a terminator resistor if needed.

and I did connected 2 of these in a chain already, as soon as I make more pcbs, I did initially only two, in case the hardware was not functioning. But ordered the parts for the other three pcbs, as the initial batch contained 5 pcbs.
( made in Belgium)

Dick