Total Topics: 15571
Most Online Today: 108
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 48
Total: 51

Experience lights Pi Extender - who powers what?

Started by rwthib, April 08, 2022, 08:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwthib

So want the Experience light pi input extender sits on top pi also passes along the pins so you can place another hat on top of it. Has anyone tried running both? And since they both have power input, any idea which one to power or power both?

Here is what I am talking about 
https://experiencelights.com/raspberry-pi-input-extender-kit-pi-hat-node/

Kensington Graves

It appears to me that the hat most likely passes a power pin, a ground pin, and 6 GPIO pins from the RPI.  The hat can be powered from the RPi by setting a jumper, but it appears that the maker recommends a 12v external power supply if the matching receiver is set any significant distance from the RPi.  Also, the hat is only rated for 500mA, and nothing is fused on it.

The Falcon PiCap will back feed the RPi if the jumper is set to do so.  For 7v to 24v external power supplies, the back feed occurs through a voltage regulator.  The PiCap is fused at 2A to protect onboard components, but it will pass at least 1.5A through the back feed to the RPi.

I probably wouldn't try to feed both the RPi and the hat from the PiCap just because the PiCap only feeds 1.5A and RPi Gen 3 and up can consume that much and more.  Drawing another 500mA for the hat reduces the current too much, IMHO.  I'd jumper the hat to use an external power supply and power only the RPi from the PiCap.  If you are using a 12v external power supply for triggers (as recommended by the hat maker), you'd be jumpering the hat to external power anyway. 

Also, the setup video seems to indicate that it's almost a foregone conclusion that you'll use external power.  So my proposed setup would be jumper the hat to external power, run power from a 12v PSU to the hat, jumper the PiCap to 7v-24v and jumper it to feed the RPi, and connect the PiCap power posts to the 12v PSU.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Christmas 2022 Lights by ShadowLight8
Today at 05:54:00 PM

FPP and projector by morrydavis
Today at 05:42:57 PM

Remote Relay Control by MGHaff007
Today at 05:42:01 PM

E1.31 data not getting to WLED controller by morrydavis
Today at 05:41:06 PM

Does FPP include an operating NTP server? by breese
Today at 05:11:29 PM