Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 70
Total: 78

PiCap DMX not working

Started by djgeorgef, May 19, 2022, 02:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbone321

It may have been an earlier version of 5 and I have no idea what the OS version was.  This was 2 Christmases ago.  Back then, I was switching from RJ's SSC's and hubs to a F48 where the hubs were getting their PixelNet data from a PICap and the DMX devices were getting their data from the DMX port on the SCC hubs.  When I moved to the F48 for my node control, I figured that I would just change the PICaps port from PixelNet to DMX and just plug RJ's DMX transmitter into it bud sadly, no luck.  Not really having much time to mess with it, I configured one of the F48's ports to DMX and like magic, it just worked and has been that way ever since so no need to put any more effort into the PICap.  The PICap still controls my modified landscape lights which it was initially put in place to do so all is good there.

djgeorgef

Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on May 21, 2022, 11:29:03 PMWhat version of FPP are you guys running and what is the OS version?  Check both in the FpP about page.
Fpp version v4.3.1
OS v4.3 👍🏻

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: djgeorgef on May 21, 2022, 02:24:43 PMI have lots of these logged, literally 20 a second since startup:

2020-10-30 17:35:56.123 (1714) common.cpp:140: Channel Data starting at channel 0: (16 bytes)
2020-10-30 17:35:56.123 (1714) common.cpp:195: 000000: ff 80 ff ff 80 ff ff 80 ff ff 80 ff ff 80 ff ff    ................

I forgot to mention.  Go to your Settings page and the Logs tab and disable logging of Channel Data and make sure your log level is set to Info.  Those log entries are once per data frame, so they would be 20 times per second when using 50ms timing in a sequence.

I just tested on my PiCap running the FPP v6 code and the DMX output is working fine.  That channel output hasn't been modified in a couple years, so the code in FPP v5.x is pretty much what is in FPP v6.  Can you try with the latest FPP v5.5?
-
Chris

djgeorgef

Thank you, I'll try that.

I have found an intermittent issue with the usbC connector, if something had shorted or spiked in the connector and 5v had crossed onto one of the other pins could this may have caused the issue? Like I say this setup was working perfectly.

jnealand

I used DMX off a Picap last season with no problems.  Like Tbone I have it connected to a lynx wireless transmitter.  Works great for all my static items, but I only turn the props on at show start and off at show end.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: djgeorgef on May 23, 2022, 05:11:47 AMI have found an intermittent issue with the usbC connector, if something had shorted or spiked in the connector and 5v had crossed onto one of the other pins could this may have caused the issue? Like I say this setup was working perfectly.

The Pi 4 does have a USB OTG port in the USBC connector I believe, but I think the odds of that are low.  Do you have another Pi you could swap in as a test to confirm it isn't the Pi itself?
-
Chris

djgeorgef

Thanks again Chris. 

I've swapped the cap over to another pi and there was still no DMX output on the picap. So the fault has stayed with the picap. 

bloojoop

Another question and something to try.. How many channels are defined on your dmx-open other output ?   I have a similar dumb RGB controller (not a LOR but similar) and even though it is only 24 channels, if the channel count on the output definition is less than 37, it will NOT accept the dmx packet from the picap and will act exactly as you described.  I thought the controller went bad as another 12 channel dmx fixture I had laying around worked as expected.  maybe set the output to full universe (512 channels) just to test and see if you get any different results. 
--Ron A.