Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 49
Total: 55

Xlights color wash effect glitch

Started by Zcarpenter, September 02, 2022, 08:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zcarpenter

I am running into an issue with xlights causing a flicker in a couple of my lights. I am part of a big show, and we have six lampposts with bright DMX lights inside. We are currently using the color wash effect on them to fade the light in and out with only one color, but this causes a flickering of other colors in the lamps at seemingly random times. We initially thought it was an issue with the lights themselves, but even the preview of the sequence in xLights shows the flickering.

To better explain the issue, the light will fade up to full and then flicker to one or two other colors that exist in the show but not on the effect for the lamp. I've checked almost every instance of the effect that has flickering and it only has the one color checked. When I select the effect and it plays it on loop, the flicker is gone, but as soon as I press play the flickering at that spot reappears.

I was hoping someone else had run into this issue and found a solution or someone knew how to help. For now we are just avoiding the effect all together for the lamps.

bve

My guess & it is a bit of a WAG.... there is some overlap in the DMX channels & pixel channels. I'm still a noob, but I did encounter something like this when I first started a couple years ago.

In xLights, on the Layout tab if you have "Overlap check enabled" it should detect it, that of course assumes the whole show is accounted for in the layout & not just your part of the show.

You can also use 'Tools' --> 'Check Sequence' & it will generate a report which could help find the problem - just search within the report for error or warn.

[edit] Are the DMX lights part of a group that has an effect applied where the flicker happens?

HTH

Zcarpenter

Quote from: bve on September 02, 2022, 05:45:01 PM[edit] Are the DMX lights part of a group that has an effect applied where the flicker happens?

HTH

There are six lamps in total, and since most of the time they are doing the same thing, they are grouped together in a group we call Lamps. The actual models are made invisible in the sequencer in most sequences so that nothing gets put on them and the Lamps group at the same time. They are in only one other group with everything else in the show, but it doesn't have anything on it during the flickers. It rarely has anything on it.

edit: I checked the settings and report and there are no overlaps or warnings/errors related to the lamps.

Poporacer

It sounds like you might have some bleeding from effects in your groups or some other issue. Do you have Model Blending Enabled?
You might be able to find out what is causing the problem by going into your sequencer and play the sequence to the point that you see the flicker. Pause it. Then go to one of your models that is flickering and expand the model down to the Node level. You can see the data created and identify the area that it is flickering. Make sure you are in the Master View and then you can right click on one of the offending colors and select the Find Possible Source Effects and then you will see what might be causing the issue.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Zcarpenter

I think I've figured it out. I expanded to the node level and found the moments of flickering. It was basically lowering or raising the amount of a certain color at different points which caused the color flicker. I noticed that in the color window the sparkles slider was set at 4. When I moved it down to 0, the flickering seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for the advice to expand to node level. I forget you can have that much control over the sequence sometimes.

Poporacer

Quote from: Zcarpenter on September 05, 2022, 01:53:06 PMI noticed that in the color window the sparkles slider was set at 4.
Yep sparkles will cause flickering on single color lights....
Glad we could help
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

1 player/2 remote by Poporacer
Today at 08:07:48 PM

K8-PB Network Issue by Kensington Graves
Today at 07:40:50 PM

Failed V1.03 diff receiver boards by bud29
Today at 07:13:38 PM

FPP not releasing control to WLED when idle by Poporacer
Today at 07:08:31 PM

XLights Variant by Poporacer
Today at 06:56:52 PM