Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 69
Total: 72

F8-B expansion

Started by Wichita, September 03, 2022, 07:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wichita

I was using 2 diff receiver boards with the F8-B but I replaced them with an F16v3 expansion board.  But no matter what option I select I can not get rid of the 1st diff receiver board in the outputs.  It is mapped to port 9-12 and my expansion board is mapped starting at port 13-28.  Is there a way to delete it? I would like the expansion board to start at port 9 so I don't have a 4 port gap.

Poporacer

Quote from: Wichita on September 03, 2022, 07:46:05 PMIs there a way to delete it? I would like the expansion board to start at port 9 so I don't have a 4 port gap.
Ports 9-12 are for the on-board expansion, there is no way to delete it, they are still available to use, that would be like asking to delete ports 2-6 because you don't want to use them. I am curious why the 4 port gap bothering you? 
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Wichita

I'm not using the diff/serial ports any more.  Like I said I was using 2 of the possible 3 and I was able to get rid of the second diff port config so I know its possible.  I label my outputs and keep a map of my setup. I will be using most of the ports and if I have 1-8 and 13-28 labeled next year I will be looking for ports 9, 10, 11, and 12 because I'm old and won't remember what I did.

Poporacer

Quote from: Wichita on September 03, 2022, 08:49:42 PMLike I said I was using 2 of the possible 3 and I was able to get rid of the second diff port config so I know its possible.
What you are asking for isn't possible. I will try to explain it.

The F8 has one dedicated RJ45 port that can be used for ONLY Differential Output (ports 9-12) so those ports are always available since it is part of the base system, just like the regular ports 1-8 are shown.

The F8 has 2 additional ports that are Multi-Functional and can be used for differential outputs OR DMX (serial) outputs. If you configure these ports to be used as Differential outputs, then it will ADD the ports to the base output screen (the base outputs are ports 1-12 NOT 1-8 like you would think...sort of confusing, I know) 

Changing the configuration to "F8-B (4 Serial)" means that you are going to only use 4 of the serial outputs (one RJ-45 jack) for serial data so it frees up the first RJ-45 jack to  use for differential outputs and this will ADD one group of 4 ports to your output's configuration screen (ports 13-16). If you change it to F8-B (8 Serial) then you are using BOTH multi-function ports for DMX (serial) outputs so it will NOT add any additional ports to your output's configuration screen so you will still have the Base config of ports 1-12.

Quote from: Wichita on September 03, 2022, 08:49:42 PMI was able to get rid of the second diff port config so I know its possible
Yes, you were able to get rid of the FIRST additional "port redirection" output (ports 13-16) since the second diff port config is an option, you can add and delete it.

Quote from: Wichita on September 03, 2022, 08:49:42 PMI will be using most of the ports and if I have 1-8 and 13-28 labeled next year I will be looking for ports 9, 10, 11, and 12
I am not sure how to get around that. Maybe connect a Cat5 cable to the F8 Diff port and extend it out of the box and label it "Ports 9-12"?

Quote from: Wichita on September 03, 2022, 08:49:42 PMbecause I'm old and won't remember what I did.
I can totally relate to that!

I hope I clarified this?

barbotte

i am having same issue with my tree using a k16 and  a falcon 16 port extension it must be a way to change the order of expansion so i dont have to go trough the onboard diff first . i can do it manually but as soon as i push in xlight it goes back to default maybe i will start a new tread so i dont hyjack this one

Poporacer

Quote from: barbotte on September 04, 2022, 08:47:33 AMi am having same issue with my tree using a k16 and  a falcon 16 port extension
Similar situation, but the K16 is actually a 32 port controller (16 on board and 16 differential ports standard...it doesn't have the "Multi-function" ports)
Quote from: barbotte on September 04, 2022, 08:47:33 AMit must be a way to change the order of expansion so i dont have to go trough the onboard diff first
There is only One expansion capability and that would be ports 33-48

Quote from: barbotte on September 04, 2022, 08:47:33 AMbut as soon as i push in xlight it goes back to default
I am not sure what you mean by this? Can you elaborate/screenshots?

Wichita

Thank you to everyone for the info.  I did not realize that the first diff card was hard coded in, even if you didn't actually have one connected.  I was used to how the Falcon handles the diff and expansion ports. 

Poporacer

Quote from: Wichita on September 04, 2022, 04:21:51 PMI was used to how the Falcon handles the diff and expansion ports.
Easy to be confused with that. The Kulp controllers have a few neat features that are different than the Falcon (some nice enhancements!) and if you are used to one, the difference can confuse people