Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 40
Total: 47

SD Card Issues

Started by jem5136, September 18, 2022, 05:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jem5136

I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to SD cards. Over the past 6 years that I've been using FPP to run my display, I have had to replace SD cards almost every year, sometimes multiple times. Every year, whenever I go to boot up FPP for the first time in awhile, I get nothing. No connections, no IP address announcement, just a couple of solid lights on the Pi itself. I take a look at the SD card, and I erase, format and install the latest version of FPP on it. Eventually the SD cards just won't erase and format anymore. I'm not sure what's going on. I just had this happen to me today. I had erased, formatted, and installed FPP a couple weeks ago; the Pi was running fine. I went to power it on and I get nothing. I try to reformat, and find out I have a corrupt card again. I try to boot down the Pi, eject the SD instead of just ripping it out, do all the things you're supposed to do but I've gone through probably a dozen SD cards. 

The first SD cards I used years ago were cheap, so I wasn't worried about loosing them. The set I bought last year are SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards. Anyone have any idea why I keep corrupting these SD cards, or have a recommendation on new cards? The controllers are all stored in a warehouse in the off season, maybe I should store the Pis indoors??? 

JonD

It would be best to store electronics indoors, but SD cards are prone to failure regardless.  I don't use them in my controllers, but have several in my outdoor security cameras.  I used SanDisk originally, but got away from them after constant failures.  They would last maybe a year.  I have had MUCH better luck with Samsung. 

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Endurance-MicroSDXC-Adapter-security/dp/B09W9XYQCQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3SXYRUF5XTCBJ&keywords=samsung%2Bendurance&qid=1663501771&s=electronics&sprefix=samsung%2Ben%2Celectronics%2C85&sr=1-1-spons&th=1

Sawdust

I used to have problems with SanDisk when purchased from Amazon or ebay.  Typically, a little less than a year and they fail......Submitted to SanDisk for warranty replacement only to be rejected as not a SanDisk product.  I guess counterfeits. eBay ignored any claim I make, but Amazon did give me a refund on a couple that were less than 1 year old.  I guess if SanDisk is counterfeited and sold thru Amazon and eBay, so are Samsung, Sony and all the other brand names.

I still buy SanDisk, but only purchase from SanDisk direct.  This avoids any more counterfeit units, and they keep warranty sales records, so if I have a failure again, they replace immediately upon return. Had only one failure in pass 3-4 years. Even on outdoor uSD application 

jem5136

Hmm, I hadn't thought about these being counterfeit but I can definitely see that being an issue. I guess I'll try buying direct from SanDisk or Samsung. These cards have been aggravating having to replace them at least once or twice a year, sometimes in the middle of the season. 

k6ccc

Wow.  Bad luck with cards.  I have over 30 security cameras that all have uSD cards in them.  Cameras are hard service for a uSD card because it is essentially continuously writing.  I originally was using SanDisk Ultra and had a fairly high failure rate, but now I only use SanDisk High Endurance cards.  Some of those are are outside and have been in service for over three years with zero failures.
All were bought on Amazon - but I do like the idea if buying those direct from SanDisk...
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

jnealand

Very strange.  I have over a dozen FPP remotes, plus others that are in house for backup or playing with for some TopHats and for model railroad apps.  Also a bunch in security cameras.  I have very few failures.  I usually buy them 4 or 5 at a time from Amazon.  Most of mine are Samsung or SanDisk, but also have a number of others from Patriot, Kingston and even MicroCenter.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

jem5136

It seems to be an ongoing issue. I've gathered my Pis and controllers and attempted to boot everything for the first time since Jan this year, and none of them would booth. I went through all the typical troubleshooting and ended up trying to reformat and install the ISO again, but I couldn't even erase and format most of them. I have half a dozen uSDs here, and I was only able to get 2 of them to reformat. All purchased from Amazon at the same time. Maybe I'm just unlucky and purchased counterfeit SD cards. Definitely going to purchase direct from the vendor this time. 

P.S. these corrupt SD cards are why I'm ALWAYS backing up the FPP. Makes it easier when I have to completely reinstall FPP (usually on a different uSD lol) 

JonD

I have seen businesses store their computers and electronics in a storage shed while remodeling, and when the remodel was completed, bring them back covered in rust and sometimes unusable.  The humidity and temperature changes can allow moisture to condensate and cause a lot of issues.  This of course is going to depend on where you live, but assuming Fort Wayne weather is similar to Iowa.  If you store them in a shed, I would at least recommend placing them in a sealed plastic bag, maybe insulate them a little some how to reduce rapid temperature changes, maybe save some of those moisture absorbing packets and throw a few in the sealed bag.

jnealand

I keep all controllers and other electronics in my basement.  Lights and props are mostly in my shed.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

jem5136

Honestly, I don't think the warehouse where the controllers are stored in the off season is the issue. They're sent to a workshop/storage room in a warehouse during the off season. The room isn't heated/cooled but it doesn't get too humid. It's about the same as storing it in the garage all year. 

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Christmas 2022 Lights by ShadowLight8
Today at 05:54:00 PM

FPP and projector by morrydavis
Today at 05:42:57 PM

Remote Relay Control by MGHaff007
Today at 05:42:01 PM

E1.31 data not getting to WLED controller by morrydavis
Today at 05:41:06 PM

Does FPP include an operating NTP server? by breese
Today at 05:11:29 PM