News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15497
Latest: packhawk
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 33
New Today: 5
Stats
Total Posts: 127077
Total Topics: 15589
Most Online Today: 128
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 99
Total: 102

No Power to BeagleBone from K8-B

Started by mixmstr, October 06, 2022, 02:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixmstr

Hi There,
I have a Kulp K8-B that I am having trouble with (it has worked before). When I power it up, it's not getting any power to the Beagle Bone or the OLED screen on the controller board. I do show power getting to the 8 led fused ports on the board. I removed the Beagle bone and plugged directly with a USB cord and the blue leds power up this way. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Alex

Sawdust

Assume you are using 5V
There is a jumper on the K8-B near the BBB power port. Verify it is still in place.

mixmstr

Quote from: Sawdust on October 06, 2022, 06:39:23 PMAssume you are using 5V
There is a jumper on the K8-B near the BBB power port. Verify it is still in place.

Sawdust, Thank you for the reply. I'm using 12v. I will double check the jumper and report back.

mixmstr

Verified the jumper was still in place and set to 12v. Also tried holding the S2 button down while powering up, still nothing.

JonB256

Your symptoms sound like the voltage regulator has died. Common causes are either TOO HIGH a voltage applied or Reverse Polarity applied. Usually it is reverse polarity. Pretty easy to do.

The K8-B board will power up, regardless. The voltage regulator is for powering the BBB (dropping the 12v down to 5v).
You can replace the regulator or just power the BBB separately with its own 5v supply.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

mixmstr

Quote from: JonB256 on October 07, 2022, 03:49:54 PMYour symptoms sound like the voltage regulator has died. Common causes are either TOO HIGH a voltage applied or Reverse Polarity applied. Usually it is reverse polarity. Pretty easy to do.

The K8-B board will power up, regardless. The voltage regulator is for powering the BBB (dropping the 12v down to 5v).
You can replace the regulator or just power the BBB separately with its own 5v supply.
Is it ok to power the k8-b with 12v power supply and the Beagle Bone with a 5v barrel connector simultaneously, while connected to each other?

fauxton

Quote from: JonB256 on October 07, 2022, 03:49:54 PMYour symptoms sound like the voltage regulator has died. Common causes are either TOO HIGH a voltage applied or Reverse Polarity applied. Usually it is reverse polarity. Pretty easy to do.

Does the rest of the K8-B board not utilize 5v from the same regulator? Level translator chips etc
I am building pixel interface capes for BBB - http://www.ledpixeldriver.com

JonB256

Quote from: fauxton on October 07, 2022, 06:11:13 PMDoes the rest of the K8-B board not utilize 5v from the same regulator? Level translator chips etc

That may be. I looked at another Kulp board (I don't have a K8) and it had multiple regulators.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

fauxton

I am building pixel interface capes for BBB - http://www.ledpixeldriver.com

SamJ

My K8-B scroller is also having power issues. I was having issues getting the network connected and then the power stopped being supplied from the cape. Still haven't sorted that out.

Sawdust

mixmstr, The BBB have a quirk that incremental voltage at start-up will not start the BBB.  BBB likes to see a full 5V at startup. This typically happens when larger power supplies are used.  Option a) Remove the jumper and power the BBB with a good 5V (maybe 4A) supply, Option B) use a time delay relay to start the 12V (giving time for 12v xfmr to reach full 12v.) This can be an issue to have your relay carry full amps to work the 12V system.   I remove the jumper, use a 12-5V buck converter and a TDOE relay to power the BBB from the main 12 power to BBB 5V Barrell connector.