Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 68
Total: 70

Wanting to go wireless

Started by JonD, June 20, 2023, 08:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkulp

Using FPP Connect to distribute sequences shouldn't be much slower via GOOD WIFI signal connected devices as compared to wired.   Actually, in the case of Beaglebone Black's, it's possible it may make it faster.    On the Pi3/Pi4 with the gigabit ethernet, the bottle neck becomes the SD card which will write at about 200 Mbit/s.  The beaglebones and older Pi's with the 100Mbit ethernet, the ethernet is the bottleneck.   With a good 5ghz wifi adapter that would connect at higher speeds, it's possible that the SD card becomes the bottleneck as well.    Possible, but not sure how likely.

Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 06:10:01 AMThe controllers are 100ft away from each other.   If I have to run an ethernet cord, it would be less work to leave it coming from the house as I have been doing
That was just an option suggested if the Falcon controllers were close to one of the Kulp controllers.

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 06:10:01 AMLess to go wrong, and easier to manage the Falcon directly instead of trying to access the management page in bridge mode.
Less to go wrong? ...Maybe it would only be the addition of a Pi with your Falcon controllers. I have some Pis that have been running 27/7 for over 8 years...so reliability isn't really a concern. And with xLights now there really isn't any managing your controllers.... Create a sequence, FPP connect/Upload and done...xLights does the rest for you. You don't have to even access the management page. And if you want to get to the Falcon's management page it can be as simple as typing in your Falcon's IP address as you are right now.

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 06:10:01 AMInstead of trying to fit a Pi in the current box
Now that could be the bottleneck of the whole thing! LOL

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 06:10:01 AMit would probably make sense just to pull the falcon board and replace it with another Kulp controller
That is an option

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 06:10:01 AMYou are going to have to buy the Pi either way,
Not really, if you change the Falcon to a Kulp Controller, you won't need the Pi
But whatever you decide, that will be the best configuration!
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

jnealand

I have doing this for a long time and when I started with the wifi one really did need to put a Pi with every controller.  I did not have buy a large quantity of Pis at once.  In fact I started with an original Pi which I still have, but do not use.  As I grew I used more controllers which for all practical purposes still needed a Pi for each, but I used better Pis as they became available and back then a Pi was only $30 and I often found them $25.  These days the controllers are better and more powerful but I am not ready to change my configurations.  I also have a couple of Kulp controllers and could follow the logic stated above and used them to control a falcon or two.  BUT that get me into a mini network and to me makes it more complex.  While it is hard to make major changes / upgrades in the end it can be worth it.  In my 19 years of animated lighting I had to bite the bullet of major changes several times.  Looking back, I'm glad I did it and I'm sitting here tying to decide on another one now.  sigh
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

JonD

Quote from: dkulp on June 22, 2023, 06:27:46 AMUsing FPP Connect to distribute sequences shouldn't be much slower via GOOD WIFI signal connected devices as compared to wired. 
If I take the original FPP player, and add 7 new remote fpp controllers... wouldn't I now have to copy all the files 8 times instead of one?  Doesn't a copy of the entire show sit on all the remote controllers?

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on June 22, 2023, 07:39:00 AMNot really, if you change the Falcon to a Kulp Controller, you won't need the Pi
You may have missed that I am buying Pi based Kulp Controllers.  I would need the Pi for the Kulp controller.

All of my controllers are presently connected to a FPP Pi in the basement.  The distance between the Falcon to the house, vs the Falcon to the Kulp is minimal.  Since the Falcon is already connected to the FPP Pi in the house, not sure there is any benefit to moving it over to the Kulp.  Certainly if the Kulp was in the middle it would be an option to connect to that instead.  Appreciate the feedback. 

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 07:35:29 PMYou may have missed that I am buying Pi based Kulp Controllers.
You are right, I missed that...

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 06:31:00 PMwouldn't I now have to copy all the files 8 times instead of one?
yes, but FPP connect can do all of them at once.

Quote from: JonD on June 22, 2023, 06:31:00 PMDoesn't a copy of the entire show sit on all the remote controllers
Yes, and use V2 Sparse!
But Dan's point was that the transfer with a good Wi-Fi shouldn't be much different than using a wired connection.

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on June 22, 2023, 10:28:15 PMYou are right, I missed that...

No worries... Did you miss that when you gave me the dimensions for the controller? 

QuoteYes, they work great.
Thanks Rick!  You wouldn't happen to have the dimensions of the K8-Pi would you? 

QuoteThe board itself is ~ 4 1/4 by 3 7/8 inches
Thanks!

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on June 23, 2023, 04:35:40 AMDid you miss that when you gave me the dimensions for the controller? 
No, that was a different thread and I forgot....

jnealand

We some times seem to forget that v2 sparse only transmits the needed parts of the sequence to each player, ie. only the channel data that is controlled by that controller.  A large matrices part of a sequence is only transmitted to the controller for the matrix and the master.  That is why I mentioned earlier that if you just change something for a single prop you only have to reupload to that prop and not every controller on the network.  Even the master does not need to be reuploaded as I understand as it sends out the sync info based on the music timing.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

JonD

https://manual.xlights.org/xlights/chapters/chapter-five-menus/tools/fpp-connect

From the manual it looks like the Master FPP still requires a V2 ZSTD (default) file.  It seems reasonable that the upload to the primary FPP device would not change much.  I would have guessed that xlights would either have to copy identical sequences to each remote controller separately, or compile a sequence file for each controller individually and then copy the smaller files to each controller accordingly.  It is blowing my mind that xlights is going to be able to compile and upload all the data files to all the controllers in the same amount time.  I would have guessed the time to upload would have at least doubled.  Thanks for the information!

dkulp

The manual is wrong.    The master can also use the sparse file.   Since my master doesn't actually output any channel data at all, the average size of the fseq files on it is about 220 bytes.  Super tiny.
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on June 24, 2023, 05:09:46 AMFrom the manual...
That was the xLights Manual so isn't as actively updated/reviewed...  The official FPP Manual is here :
https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual.pdf
Like @dkulp said, the V2 Sparse is a great choice for your Player(master).

Quote from: JonD on June 24, 2023, 05:09:46 AMor compile a sequence file for each controller individually and then copy the smaller files to each controller accordingly.
yes, that is exactly what it does. It will only sent the relative channel data to each FPP device.

And if you are using a Player (Master) that is doing nothing but sending MultiSync packets, the Player really doesn't need any channel data, just the timing data.

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on June 24, 2023, 12:22:31 PMif you are using a Player (Master) that is doing nothing but sending MultiSync packets, the Player really doesn't need any channel data, just the timing data
If the Master FPP device can use V2 sparse as well, it now makes sense it would take about the same time to transfer.

JonD

I installed a SD card in the Falcon F16v4 over the weekend.  It looks like when I place the controller in remote mode, it removes all my E1.31 settings.  Am I going to have to convert to DDP before going wireless, or am I missing something?

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

USB (and other) issues on Pi Zero 2w by zaicik
Today at 04:20:33 AM

do I need license for my picap New? by tbone321
July 13, 2024, 08:03:14 PM

Multiple text effects cause re-render by dkulp
July 13, 2024, 08:44:07 AM

FPP led Panel Troubleshooting. by Poporacer
July 12, 2024, 09:29:56 AM

output controller by JonD
July 12, 2024, 09:29:07 AM