Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 38
Total: 44

Mixing incandescent and Pixels in show

Started by bshifflett, December 28, 2014, 11:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshifflett

This was my first year doing a lightshow, I used lightshowpi.org for controlling the show. I have all incandescentt lights and plan to get some LED Pixels for next year, obvioulsy I cannot change everything because of costs. Question is, can I mix in LED Pixels and incandescent lights? For example around the windows I am thinking I want the LED Pixels and then use the other lights in the bushes and trees. Slowly I will replace over the years.

Cant he FalconPlayer control and turn on and off the incandescent lights (obviously I know it would be the whole string of lights and not individual lights).

CaptainMurdoch

FPP can output quite a few different protocols to control lights including E1.31 and PixelNet which a vast majority of users use for controlling pixels.

What kind of outputs are you using with LightShowPi? Are using just the onboard GPIO or did you add an external MCP chip to get more GPIO outputs?
-
Chris

jnealand

I have been using pixels and incans and LED strings for a couple of years.  No problems with mixing other than esthetics.  The pixels are so bright and the colors so different even from LED strings that you should probably consider that aspect as well.  Next year I am going to do all RGB pixels on the front of the house and move all my non-RGB elements to my side yard (corner lot).
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Jeffl

I think the FPP can play about anything we develop.  The difference from what I can tell is the color of the white on pixels vs incandescent vs warm white LED's.  It think the pixels white is closer to cool white.  I have way too much invested in warm white LED's to use anything different so I'll have to figure out how to color mix things on the sequencing side.

nutz4lights

Jeff,

It is pretty easy to dial in the warm white color with RGB (both pixels and dumb nodes).  I use lightshow pro, but have also seen this in nutcracker / xlights.  When you apply a color, you can specify a custom RGB value set.  I developed the value set for our lights in manual mode (manually adjust r, g, and b) by having a string of incandescent lights plugged in next to the RGB light string.  My values were 255,103,23 and the video below shows the match we obtained.

Louie
-Louie
Videos @ Cape Sable Lights

Jeffl

Thanks for the video.  I'll keep the numbers for my future testing and education, of which there will be plenty in the future.

bshifflett

nutz4lights

I run incandescent lights off a lor pc series controller running dmx mode out of one of my pixel controllers.  I use j1sys p12s controllers, advatek pixlite controllers, and sandevices e6804 controllers.  All have dmx output options.

Louie
-Louie
Videos @ Cape Sable Lights

jcross

I run Renard controllers off of an e1.31 bridge for my incan lights and a sandevices e682 for my smart pixels.

My dumb RGB lights run off of dc-SSR's off of the Renard controllers and my incans run mostly off of dirkcheap SSR's.

Next year some of my new pixel elements will run off of the e1.31 bridge using pixel extenders.

Basically you will find there are lots of options available.  I like to keep things similar so I've kept with Renard since that is what I started with and sandevices was the most talked about controller when I started dabbling in pixels.

Oh and my e1.31 bridge and sandevices controllers are all configured for sacn so FPP only has to output the e1.31 protocol. Easy peasy.

Jason C