News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 5.5 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/5.5

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15188
Latest: lathemaster
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 123969
Total Topics: 15068
Most Online Today: 49
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 43
Total: 45

More wireless master/remote questions

Started by Plasmadrive, May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plasmadrive

For my new parade floats I am still working on the best way to sync them via wireless along the parade route with hundreds of phones around the route. 

So.... I am looking to better understand the master/remote relationship.  If someone could help to enlighten me I would be grateful. 

If I were to start the master and the remote had a good wifi signal, I assume they would start in sync, correct? 
Assuming the answer is yes... as it continued playing my sequence if the remote got out of range or the signal was interfered with, would the remote continue playing the sequence? 
Assuming the answer is yes, would it then automatically re-sync when the signal became strong enough? 
Assuming the answer is yes, do I need to have the audio track on both the master and remote?
I assume that is a given, but thought I should ask.

What I am hoping for is to start any songs with the two floats in close proximity to each other and as we drive down the road, should we be separated by too long of a distance I would hope the two Pi4s would stay fairly close and only need to sync msec changes when we got close again.  Will it work that way?

JonB256

The remote will keep playing, then will rsync when it gets in range.

The sequence will jump to match frames.The audio will speed up or slow down the sync.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

Poporacer

Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMIf I were to start the master and the remote had a good wifi signal, I assume they would start in sync, correct? 
Yes
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMas it continued playing my sequence if the remote got out of range or the signal was interfered with, would the remote continue playing the sequence? 
The remote would continue to play the sequence, but won't start the next one.
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMwould it then automatically re-sync when the signal became strong enough? 
Yes
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMdo I need to have the audio track on both the master and remote?
No, only on the Player (AKA Master, there isn't a Master mode anymore)
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMI would hope the two Pi4s would stay fairly close and only need to sync msec changes when we got close again.  Will it work that way?
Yes, with the exception if it loses signal during right before a song change. The remote will be dark until it gets in range and I am not sure if it will start the song, if it does, there will probably be some glitches while it is catching up.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Plasmadrive

Quote from: JonB256 on May 14, 2022, 05:16:17 PMThe remote will keep playing, then will rsync when it gets in range.

The sequence will jump to match frames.The audio will speed up or slow down the sync.
Thanks.. in a 3 min song, how far out do you think they could get?  Music is via FM from the master. 

Plasmadrive

Quote from: Poporacer on May 14, 2022, 07:25:27 PM
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMIf I were to start the master and the remote had a good wifi signal, I assume they would start in sync, correct?
Yes
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMas it continued playing my sequence if the remote got out of range or the signal was interfered with, would the remote continue playing the sequence?
The remote would continue to play the sequence, but won't start the next one.
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMwould it then automatically re-sync when the signal became strong enough?
Yes
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMdo I need to have the audio track on both the master and remote?
No, only on the Player (AKA Master, there isn't a Master mode anymore)
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 12:49:55 PMI would hope the two Pi4s would stay fairly close and only need to sync msec changes when we got close again.  Will it work that way?
Yes, with the exception if it loses signal during right before a song change. The remote will be dark until it gets in range and I am not sure if it will start the song, if it does, there will probably be some glitches while it is catching up.
Thanks.. so the sync up would "run thru" as opposed to just starting from the sync point on the new song? (I guess that makes some sense if that is the case). 

the slave just uses the internal clock as opposed to the audio track? 

Poporacer

Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 07:35:58 PMThanks.. so the sync up would "run thru" as opposed to just starting from the sync point on the new song?
I am not sure how it would work.
Quote from: Plasmadrive on May 14, 2022, 07:35:58 PMthe slave remote just uses the internal clock as opposed to the audio track?
Yes, the clocks in the computers are not calibrated so they could drift, how much? It depends on if the internal clocks on both are off in the opposite direction, in one 3 minute song, maybe 5/100 of a second.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Sawdust

Thinking out loud......I haven't read thru all your Q&A but thinking a mesh network may give you better range, plus the FPP is then hard wired to a local mesh router on each float.

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: Sawdust on May 14, 2022, 09:45:28 PMThinking out loud......I haven't read thru all your Q&A but thinking a mesh network may give you better range, plus the FPP is then hard wired to a local mesh router on each float.

This is what I suggested in the other thread when this was asked last week. :)

https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=15297

I think a pair of tri-band access points would be best since they could talk together on a different network than normal 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi so wouldn't be as susceptible to issues caused by all the cell phones along the parade route.  The Pi's in each float would be hardwired to the access points.
-
Chris

Plasmadrive

Quote from: Sawdust on May 14, 2022, 09:45:28 PMThinking out loud......I haven't read thru all your Q&A but thinking a mesh network may give you better range, plus the FPP is then hard wired to a local mesh router on each float.
I have trying to wrap my head around all this and from what I understand, a mesh network with only two points isn't really much of a mesh but just a point to point WiFi.  I could be wrong about that however..

Plasmadrive

Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on May 15, 2022, 12:16:50 AM

I think a pair of tri-band access points would be best since they could talk together on a different network than normal 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi so wouldn't be as susceptible to issues caused by all the cell phones along the parade route.  The Pi's in each float would be hardwired to the access points.

Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on May 15, 2022, 12:16:50 AM

I was looking those tri-band access points over and it seems hard to find ones with removable antennas for less than one arm and two parts of a leg, and in stock.  Also the antenna count on each is a lot on some of them. I still think I need the removable antennas so I can cable them outside the cage..

I have not given up on that and may just do it if I find what I like that fits the criteria.  All this info put together is very helpful and appreciated. 

I was just looking at the Ubiquiti Rocket and an omni ant.  Looks promising. 

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics